Making books with children...
- promotes reading and the love of books,
- enhances visual and verbal literacy skills,
- develops the capacity for problem solving,
- invites creative self-expression,
- encourages collaboration,
- improves fine motor skills,
- introduces principles of design,
- and cultivates respect for fine craftsmanship.
City of Stories Project: Oral History and Bookmaking
Eighth grade oral history residency project. Students interviewed local immigrants and then wrote stories and poetry and put them into House Books and Road Books. Books were joined to create a "city of stories". For more information and downloads, see: www.oneheartarts.com/cityofstories.htm